Schiff Announces 2016 Nominations to U.S. Service Academies

By On February 5, 2016

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Burbank) announced that he has nominated fourteen students from the 28th Congressional District to U.S. service academies for the class of 2020.  Four of the five United States service academies require a Congressional nomination in order to receive an appointment.

“It is a privilege every year to nominate some of the best and most talented students in the 28th Congressional District to our nation’s Service Academies,” said Schiff. “Every student nominated has an outstanding record of achievements – excelling both in academics as well as in extracurricular activities and sports. These students are deeply committed to serving  in our armed forces, and I am confident they will be future leaders of our country.”

Below is the list of the students Rep. Schiff has nominated from Burbank:

Minas Badikyan, Burbank High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Air Force Academy

Franchette Brosoto, Burbank High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Air Force Academy

Juliana Johana LaFrance, Burbank High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Naval Academy

Michael Ospina, John Burroughs High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Merchant Marine Academy

Michael John Simic, Loyola High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Naval Academy

Thomas Allen Wilson, John Burroughs High School, Burbank resident – nominated to the Naval Academy

The four academies requiring a Congressional nomination are the Air Force Academy, the Merchant Marine Academy, the Military Academy at West Point, and the Naval Academy.  The fifth service academy, the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, does not require a Congressional nomination. All five academies offer young men and women a free college education, at a highly-ranked, nationally-recognized academic institution, while preparing them for an officer’s commission in the armed forces.

Students interested in applying to a Service Academy for the Class of 2021, should call Congressman Schiff’s District Office at 818-450-2900 or 323-315-5555,  or visit http://schiff.house.gov/help/academy-nominations to submit an application form.  The application deadline for next year’s class is November 18, 2016.