Mobile Dairy Classroom Visits Roosevelt Elementary

By On September 14, 2016

The Mobile Dairy Classroom made a stop at Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School on Monday, September 12. Schoolchildren were able to pet a calf and learn about how cows provide milk.

The students were able to “learn firsthand about the role of agriculture in the food supply, how milk and dairy foods get from the farm to the table,” explained Carlos Gomez from the Dairy Council of California.

(Photo by © Ross A Benson)

(Photo by © Ross A Benson)

“The Dairy Council will come to a school every five years and we always take advantage of this wonderful opportunity for the students to learn about the cow and the contributions they make to providing good nutrition to us,” commented teacher Linda Walmsley, who’s coordinated the visit for many years.

“The educational learning lab teaches students enrolled in kindergarten through sixth grade about cow anatomy, cow care on the farm, the milking process and agriculture technology,” added Gomez.

(Photo by © Ross A Benson)

(Photo by © Ross A Benson)

“Language arts, math and science will be integrated into the lesson, which aligns with Common Core State Standards. Students will also learn about healthy food and activity choices.”

The Mobile Dairy Classroom reaches more than 453,000 students, with six full-time instructors who travel to elementary schools, agriculture days and fairs throughout California.

The assemblies are offered at no cost to schools and are part of dairy farm families’ and dairy companies’ efforts to give back to the community, explained Gomez. California dairies support the program by providing cows and calves for assemblies.