JBHS Principal Moves To BUSD Administration

By On October 21, 2014

Current John Burroughs High School principal, John Paramo, was recently named Director of Secondary Education for the Burbank Unified School District at the October 16 Board of Education meeting.

Paramo replaces Emilio Urioste, who just took over duties as Director of Burbank Adult School and Career Technical Education for the district.

Burroughs High School counselor Sheila Masters and Principal John Paramo announce senior Brennan Flynn's (center) selection for National Merit Scholarship semifinalist. (Photo Courtesy John Burroughs High School)

Burroughs High School counselor Sheila Masters and Principal John Paramo announce senior Brennan Flynn’s (center) selection for National Merit Scholarship semifinalist. (Photo Courtesy John Burroughs High School)

In a call to all JBHS student homes and in an announcement to students at school on Monday, October 20, Paramo emphasized that he will remain as principal for JBHS and on site daily for the next few weeks, until a replacement principal has been chosen.

“Until the next principal is selected, you will see me at Burroughs everyday engaged in my normal duties,” he said. “I plan to savor the time I have left with the school community, particularly our students.”

“It has been an honor and a distinct pleasure for me to have served all of you the last two years,” Paramo continued. “I will never forget the support I received and the memories I was able to create. I am a blessed man.”

Paramo taught English for 10 years at Don Bosco Technical Institute and served as a counselor and Director of Student Activities. He left private school education to teach English in both El Monte and Baldwin Park. Paramo moved to administration during his final year in Baldwin Park, serving as Dean of Students and overseeing discipline.

Paramo began in 2005 as BUSD’s Assistant Principal in Guidance and Counseling and Assistant Principal of Instruction at John Burroughs High School. In 2010, Paramo moved to John Muir Middle School as principal for two years and started the Title I Program that exists today.

In 2012, Paramo became principal at John Burroughs High School and assisted closely with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges accreditation for the high school.

While Paramo and his family live in Pasadena, his son Ethan is a fifth-grader at Stevenson Elementary. Paramo will receive his Doctorate in Education from USC in December.

“John has a passion for curriculum and instruction and he is excited to take on this new role,” commented Kimberley Clark, Burbank Unified Public Information Officer. “We wish John the very best as he takes on this new challenge.”

Over the next several weeks, the school community of JBHS will have to opportunity to provide input on the selection of the new principal, with more information to be released about that process by the district.