The construction activities and closures listed below will occur February 16-22, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for February 16-22, 2015
- PILE DRIVING UPDATE: There will be NO pile driving the weekend of Feb. 14-15. Pile driving near the intersection of Buena Street and Winona Avenue will resume the weekend of Feb. 21-22. Pile driving hours will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both days. To ensure the safety of motorists during the operation, Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 22. A signed detour will be provided. More information about the pile driving operation is here. View a detailed schedule here.
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Backfilling operation. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
- Shoring for bridge abutment near Buena Vista Street and Winona Avenue.
- Grading at the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Excavation work at the northbound I-5 Buena Vista Street on-ramp.
- Concrete pours for columns on the east side of Buena Vista Street.
- Paving and striping of Victory Place near Lincoln Street the nights of Feb. 18 and 19.
- Construction of a manhole at the sidewalk by Starbucks near the corner of Victory Place and Empire Avenue. Day and night work, which will continue through Feb. 25.
- Installation of AT&T lines on Victory Place south of Empire Avenue. Some night work.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for February 16-22, 2015
- One lane of northbound Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and Winona Avenue will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 16-20.
- Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 22.
- A short segment of Victory Place south of Empire Avenue may be closed intermittently for utility work during the day and at night. Flaggers will direct motorists during closure periods.
- Closures on Victory Place near Lincoln Street the nights of Feb. 18 and 19 for paving and striping operations.
- Lincoln Street will be closed at Victory Place from Feb. 19 through March 5.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.