The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) will close the southbound I-5 Verdugo Boulevard on- and off-ramps from 10 p.m. on Friday, October 24 to 5 a.m. Monday, October 27 to pour new concrete and pave the widened sections of freeway.
Signed detours will be in place. Motorists should expect delays. Closures are subject to change.
The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of October 20-25, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of October 20-25, 2014 (day work only)
- Retaining wall work at the following locations: near the I-5 Buena Vista St. off-ramp and on-ramp, and near the southbound I-5 Burbank Blvd. off-ramp.
- Slurry pour in the northbound San Fernando tunnel area. Fill placement also in this area near the Scott Rd. on-ramp.
- Excavation in the southbound San Fernando tunnel area (closed to traffic).
- Electrical work east of Victory Place between Empire Avenue and Empire Center.
- Trenching operation on Victory Place between Empire Center and Empire Avenue near the pedestrian tunnel. This work will occur only on Saturday, Oct. 25, 4 a.m. to noon. One lane in each direction will be open to motorists at all times. Flaggers will assist with maintaining traffic flow.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of October 20-25, 2014
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Empire Ave. will have one travel lane in each direction at all times.
- Lane closures on Victory Place on Saturday, Oct. 25, 4 a.m. to noon. One lane in each direction will be open to motorists at all times.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.