BAFA Donates More Than $30,000 Towards BUSD Arts Programs

By On November 12, 2015

Burbank Arts For All Foundation (BAFA) board members gathered on Thursday, November 5, to present a check to the Burbank Unified Board of Education for more than $30,000 towards BUSD arts programs as part of the Foundation’s Fall 2015 grant cycle.

“We see arts education – in its broadest term – as basic instruction for every student in the District and quite possibly a career pathway for our City’s future employees,” commented BAFA Executive Director Trena Pitchford.

“We are pleased to report that we were able to invest $30,473 for arts education programs. This is the second largest investment we have made in a single grant cycle,” continued Pitchford, in her address to the Board of Education.

“With this cycle, our funding is matched with $24,735.99 from the District’s Arts for All funds, a school site’s budget, parent driven booster clubs or PTA units. Together, that’s more than $55,208.99 given to our schools for arts education programming.”

Burbank Arts For All Foundation Board of Directors members and Executive Director present a check for $30,473 to the BUSD Board of Education. BUSD Superintendent Matt Hill, District Administrative staff, BUSD teachers, principals and parent leaders gather for the presentation on November 5, 2015. (Photo Courtesy Burbank Arts For All Foundation)

“We are directly impacting 3,597 students this school year alone and we are hopeful that through the sustainability of these programs and equipment we will continue to impact generations to come.”

Several teachers and principals of school programs funded in the Fall 2015 BAFA grant cycle including Washington Elementary, Miller Elementary, Edison Elementary, Jordan Middle School, Burbank High School and Magnolia Park School also attended the school board meeting.

For the Foundation’s Fall grant cycle, 24 applications were submitted for funding, including submissions from six elementary schools, all three middle schools, both Burbank and Burroughs high schools and the Magnolia Park School for a total financial request of $65,198.61.

“This was the first cycle with our new grant application and guidelines, which allowed us to understand more of the academic goals of each grant request, the timeline of the project or program and samples of a teacher’s rubric or assessment tools,” Pitchford added.

The Foundation provided seed funding for new programs, including media arts at Miller Elementary with a green screen and equipment and integration of theater arts at Edison Elementary through an artist-in-residency.

BAFA continues funding for professional development for teachers in both elementary and secondary education, elementary school tile making, clay and visual arts, expansion of digital media arts at Jordan Middle School to incorporate 3D printing and robotics, musical instruments for all three middle school programs, expert coaches for high school instrumental music and artists-in-residency programs in songwriting and performing arts at Magnolia Park School.

Pitchford also noted BAFA’s efforts to increase or sustain equity for all students by investing in the growth of both high school dance programs through funding supplies for tap dance and investing in BUSD’s College and Career Pathways Animation program with funding for Cintiqs that will decrease the tablet to student ratio to 1:2.

She also commented that many of the BAFA-funded programs are in alignment with the recent funding that BUSD’s Board of Education has provided through the State of California’s one-time funds, the District’s LCAP priorities and goals stated in the District’s Arts for All plan.

“This is a huge celebration of our District’s Arts For All ‘eco-system’ and partnership with you and our parent and business community,” she said to school board members.

BAFA’s total funding since its inception in 2006 now stands at $344,555.01. The Foundation has funded 209 grants to all K-12 schools within Burbank Unified.

“There is certainly more to do to provide standards-based sequential arts education programming K-12, but all of us in our ecosystem should be very proud of what we continue to grow and sustain in Burbank Unified for the benefit of the thousands of students who have passed through its halls in 10 years,” she also said.