The construction activities and closures listed below will occur January 17-23, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All of the work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for January 17-23, 2015
- Pile driving near the intersection of Buena Street and Winona Avenue. Pile driving hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. See the attached flyer for more information.
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Construction of abutment, including concrete pours. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
Update regarding parking configuration: The work area will move to the north end of Leland Way in mid-February. At that time, street parking will be available on the south end of Leland Way (residence side south of University Avenue) and will be restricted on the north end.
- Crushing of material stockpiled at the former southbound I-5 Scott Road off-ramp.
- Grading of the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Forming and pouring retaining walls at the northbound I-5 Buena Vista on-ramp (night work).
- Concrete pours for column footings and sidewalks on the east side of Buena Vista Street.
- Excavation for abutment construction on the north side of Winona Avenue near Buena Vista Street.
- Construction of retaining wall for the new southbound I-5 Empire Avenue off-ramp (see photo).
- Construction of temporary railroad tracks. Work is beginning at the south end (near the Burbank Animal Shelter) and will progress northward.
- Trenching for utility conduits on Victory Place about 400 feet north of Empire Avenue.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for January 17-23, 2015
- Up to two lanes of northbound I-5 between Burbank Boulevard and Buena Vista Street will be closed between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. (This closure will not be in place on January 19.)
- A short segment of Winona Avenue under I-5 and west of the freeway will be closed from January 17 at 5 a.m. to January 19 at 9 p.m. All businesses in the area will remain fully accessible during this closure.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.