The construction activities and closures listed below will occur January 31 – February 8, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All of the work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for January 31 – February 8, 2015
- PILE DRIVING UPDATE: There will be NO pile driving Jan. 31 – Feb. 6. Pile driving near the intersection of Buena Street and Winona Avenue will resume the weekend of Feb. 7-8. Pile driving hours will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both days. To ensure the safety of motorists during the operation, Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. on both days. A signed detour will be provided. More information about the pile driving operation is here.
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Construction of abutment (including concrete pours). Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
- Shoring for bridge abutment near Buena Vista Street and Winona Avenue.
- Grading at the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Excavation work at the northbound I-5 Buena Vista Street on-ramp.
- Concrete pours for column footings on the east side of Buena Vista Street.
- Concrete pours on the north side of Winona Avenue (night work).
- Trenching for utility conduits on Victory Place about 400 feet north of Empire Avenue.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for January 31 – February 8, 2015
- Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and Winona Avenue will be closed Feb. 7-8 from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- One lane of northbound Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and Winona Avenue will be closed Feb. 3-4 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- There will be intermittent closures of a short segment of Winona Avenue near Buena Vista Street Feb. 5-6 from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Flaggers will be on hand to ensure that motorists are able to use Winona Avenue during the intermittent closure period.
- A short segment of Victory Place south of Empire Avenue may be closed intermittently for utility work. Flaggers will direct motorists around the work zone during closure periods.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.