The construction activities and closures listed below will occur February 9-15, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Pedestrian Walkway Now OPEN! The temporary pedestrian walkway (right) on the west side of Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard is now OPEN! (See photo at left.) The walkway will enhance pedestrian safety while work is underway to widen the Buena Vista Street overcrossing. The sidewalk on the east side of Buena Vista Street is temporarily closed.
Major Construction Activities for February 9-15, 2015
- Pile Driving Update: There will be NO pile driving Feb. 7-13. Pile driving near the intersection of Buena Street and Winona Avenue will resume the weekend of Feb. 14-15. Pile driving hours will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both days. To ensure the safety of motorists during the operation, Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 14, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 15. A signed detour will be provided. More information about the pile driving operation is here.
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Concrete pour and backfilling. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
- Shoring for bridge abutment near Buena Vista Street and Winona Avenue.
- Grading at the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Excavation work at the northbound I-5 Buena Vista Street on-ramp.
- Concrete pours for columns on the east side of Buena Vista Street.
- Removal of forms used for concrete pours on the north side of Winona Avenue.
- Trenching for utility conduits on Victory Place about 400 feet north of Empire Avenue.
- Installation of AT&T lines on Victory Place south of Empire Avenue. May require some night work.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for February 9-15, 2015
- One lane of northbound Buena Vista Street between San Fernando Boulevard and Winona Avenue will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the following dates: Feb. 5-6 and 9-13.
- Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 14, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 15.
- A short segment of Victory Place south of Empire Avenue may be closed intermittently for utility work. Flaggers will direct motorists around the work zone during closure periods.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.