The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of October 27-31, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of October 27-31, 2014
Southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street Off-Ramp Closure
The southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp will be CLOSED on Tuesday, October 28, 2014, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The closure is necessary to ensure the safety of workers and motorists during a concrete pour for a retaining wall.
Retaining wall work near the I-5 Buena Vista St. off-ramp and near the southbound I-5 Burbank Blvd. off-ramp.
- Concrete removal on the west side of the railroad tracks between Hollywood Way and Buena Vista Street.
- Excavation in the southbound San Fernando tunnel area (closed to traffic).
- Electrical work east of Victory Place between Empire Avenue and Empire Center.
- Utility removal/relocation on San Fernando Boulevard near the Grismer Avenue intersection.
- Trenching operation on Victory Place between Empire Center and Empire Avenue near the pedestrian tunnel. This work will occur only on Saturday, Oct. 25, 4 a.m. to noon. One lane in each direction will be open to motorists at all times. Flaggers will assist with maintaining traffic flow.
- Striping operation on northbound I-5 between Burbank Boulevard and Hollywood Way.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of October 27-31, 2014
- Up to three lanes of northbound I-5 between Burbank Boulevard and Hollywood Way: 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Note: The most restrictive closures (i.e., the most lanes closed) will occur between midnight and 4 a.m.
- Northbound Hollywood Way off-ramp: 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Empire Ave. will have one travel lane in each direction at all times.
- Lane closures on Victory Place on Saturday, Oct. 25, 4 a.m. to noon. One lane in each direction will be open to motorists at all times.
- A short stretch of San Fernando Boulevard near Grismer Avenue will be reduced to one lane during the day.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.