The 2014 Burbank High School Athletic Hall of Fame class was inducted last Saturday in a joyous celebration on campus. Athletic Director Fred Cook once again did a masterful job of putting together a ceremony that recognized the achievements of 15 individuals who excelled during their years as a Burbank Bulldog.
The following information was provided by Fred Cook on each recipient-
1. Jerry Ogborn (20’s)- Coach and administrator, coached basketball, football and track (1926 football team to the semifinals).Won league championships in all three. Went onto be Principal of BHS. One of the school’s highest awards is named after him.
2. Dick Minasian- Long time baseball coach and athletic director. Known for his PE class as Minasian’s Marines. Also coached lower level sports. Coached more All-CIF players than any other coach at BHS.
3. Ham Lloyd- Long time coach and administrator. Instituted the first code of ethics to play in sports at BHS. Coached football for seven seasons.
4. Frank Zelinski- Golf coach and teacher 18 winning seasons in a row. Three undefeated seasons in a row. Coached six All-CIF players.
5. Brad Atwood (30’s)- Lettered nine times in five different sports which were Track, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Football. Went onto run track at UCLA.
6. Kenton Corwin- 1940 CIF champ in the Pole Vault. Third place in the state meet. The second highest jump in California. Foothill League Champ. Burbank High School first varsity CIF champ.
7. Ray Love- 1947 CIF champ in Tennis, 3x Foothill League champ.
8. Bob Ward- 1951, Football and Track, Coach of many Olympic Throwers and Strength and Conditioning coach for the Dallas Cowboys. American fullback at Whitworth College. All League in football and league champion in sprints.
9. Bob Brinkworth (’62)- Track and football star. Still in many of the top ten categories in football and currently holds two school records in track. Went onto run track at Cal Berkley.
10. Chuck Miliam (’63)- 3 time CIF champ 3 time All American in swim, Was the first of a long line of great swimmers at BHS, Went to USC where he was an All American and member of NCAA team champions.
11. Tim Dubois- all league in three different sports Football, basketball and baseball, all CIF in two different sports Starter in all three sports.
12. Andrea Kriva (‘81)- holder of 3 BHS track records, went to CIF and State Finals 3 times in the discus, She is still ranked in the top ten athletes in the Mt. Sac Heptathlon with 4401 points. 1982 placed 5th in the state in discus with a throw of 137’4. Went onto UCLA where she was an All American Tennis Player.
13. Dyson Hamner (’81)- Track, football and basketball, CIF champion in the high jump went onto jump at San Deigo State. Still holds BHS school record. All league in three sports (football, basketball, and track). Went onto run track at San Diego State.
14. Caroline Cast (‘84)- Swim 3-time all American, 7-time Foothill League champion Holder of the longest Foothill League record(200 freestyle for more than 23 years) current holder of 3 BHS records. Went onto swim at Arizona State where she was a Pac 10 champ and All American.
15. Bob Smallenburg (’72)- Distinguished Service Award. During his high school days Bob played football and baseball for BHS. But, it’s what he has done as a coach (5 sports) and an advocate for higher education. He has given his time and has helped fund many sports and academic scholarships for our school. He is always there to help out when needed. When asked what is the meaning of a true “Burbank Bulldog,” Bob immediately comes to mind.