On Saturday, August 27, 2016, the Burbank Police Department Traffic Bureau conducted a DUI Checkpoint, which was previously announced, on Hollywood Way at Tulare Ave. in the City of Burbank. A grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration funded the checkpoint.
The checkpoint was operational from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and resulted in the following actions:
- 997 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
- 817 drivers were screened for signs of driving under the influence
- Four drivers were arrested for driving under the influence
- Six drivers were detained for the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- Seven citations were issued to unlicensed drivers
- Two citations were issued for driving with a suspended license
- Five vehicles were impounded
- 19 warnings were issued for various vehicle code violation
The purpose of this operation was to raise awareness about the dangers of driving under the influence, to serve as a deterrent to driving while impaired and to reduce the number of persons killed or seriously injured in alcohol-related traffic collisions.