The Burbank Police Department has recently been made aware of individuals who are
impersonating Burbank Water and Power employees and trying to gain access to residential homes.
These individuals are informing residents that they work for Burbank Water and Power. Some have
asked to enter a residence and check the water. Others have asked the resident to exit their
residence and check the water main. Another offered to give the resident money to check
something, but needed change for a $100.00 bill (likely fraudulent). These incidents were reported
to the Burbank Water and Power department, who advised the residents that no BWP employees had been scheduled to be at their residence.
How to Identify a BWP Representative
- BWP employees are required to show you their BWP identification, which includes their photograph.
- Never hesitate to ask any City employee or contractor for identification before allowing them on your property.
- If you have any uncertainty, simply ask the individual to wait outside while you call for verification. If you feel threatened call 911.
- In most cases, BWP provides advance notice of the need to enter private property and typically arrive between 8:00a.m. and 6:00p.m.
- If you have any questions regarding a BWP employee call (818) 238-3700.