On Saturday, December 17, the Burbank Police Department Traffic Bureau had planned to conduct a DUI checkpoint. Due to inclement weather, the Traffic Bureau conducted a DUI saturation patrol enforcement campaign. A grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration funded the checkpoint.
The saturation patrol was operational from 7:30 p.m. to 3:00 a.m., and resulted in the following actions:
• 96 vehicles were stopped
• 22 drivers were detained for the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
• 4 drivers were arrested for driving under the influence
• 1 driver under age 21 was issued a citation for having a blood alcohol greater than .01%
• 4 citations were issued to unlicensed drivers
• 1 citation was issued for driving with a suspended license
• 2 misdemeanor citations were issued for possession of marijuana
• 15 citations were issued for driving infractions
• 1 vehicle was impounded
The purpose of this operation was to raise awareness about the dangers of driving under the influence, to serve as a deterrent to driving while impaired, and to reduce the number of persons killed or seriously injured in alcohol-related traffic collisions.