The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of August 17-22, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change
Major Construction Activities for the Week of August 17-22, 2014
- Excavation for a retaining wall near the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Boring operation along Victory Place north of Empire Avenue. (See photo at right.)
- Fill placement between the San Fernando Boulevard tunnel and the Lincoln Street/Victory Place intersection.
- Manhole work at Victory Place and Empire Avenue by Liberman Broadcasting.
- Gas Company work: utility removal/relocation on San Fernando Boulevard between the northbound I-5 Scott Road off-ramp and Grismer Avenue and at Andover Drive.
- Placement of conduit on Victory Place north of the Empire Center entrance and on Victory Place and Empire Avenue by Liberman Broadcasting.
- Striping and delineation work on Victory Place and Empire Avenue near Liberman Broadcasting.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected. Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of August 17-22, 2014
- One lane of the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp may be closed during daytime hours (7 a.m. to 3 p.m.). Motorists WILL be able to use the ramp during the closure.
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., Victory Place will be reduced to one lane north of Empire Avenue. Empire Avenue at Victory Place will be left turn only.
- Empire Avenue will have one travel lane in each direction at all times. Parking will be restricted on the north side of Empire Avenue.
Permanent I-5 Ramp Closures
- Northbound Burbank Boulevard/Walnut Avenue on-ramp
- Southbound Scott Road off-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Southbound Victory Place/Lincoln Street on-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.