On Saturday, June 7, the Burbank Police Department Traffic Bureau conducted a DUI Checkpoint on Olive Avenue at Pass Avenue in the City of Burbank. A grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration funded the checkpoint.
The checkpoint was operational from 9:00 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., and resulted in the following actions:
1297 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
- 1278 drivers were screened for signs of driving under the influence
- 26 drivers were detained for the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- 3 drivers were arrested for driving under the influence
- 1 driver was arrested for an outstanding warrant
- 1 driver was arrested on a narcotic related charge
- 9 citations were issued to unlicensed drivers
- 3 citations were issued for driving with a suspended license
- 4 vehicles were impounded
- 19 warnings were issued
The purpose of this operation was to raise awareness about the dangers of driving under the influence, to serve as a deterrent to driving while impaired, and to reduce the number of persons killed or seriously injured in alcohol-related traffic collisions.