High School Student Falls Ill After Consuming Marijuana Brownie

By On October 25, 2013

On October 24, at 3:30 p.m., Burbank police officers responded to Providence St. Joseph’s Hospital to investigate a report of a sixteen-year-old male who had become sick after ingesting a marijuana brownie. According to Sgt. Darin Ryburn of the Burbank Police Department, the teenager bought the brownie from a person he did not know and consumed it prior to attending school yesterday morning. At approximately 9:30 a.m., the boy started feeling sick and vomiting in the nurse’s office at school. School officials became concerned and paramedics transported the boy to the hospital.

“You never know what someone could put in a food or drink, especially someone you don’t know,” commented Sgt. Ryburn. “The brownie could have been laced with LSD or something else and could have caused severe injuries to the individual.”

Sgt. Ryburn went on to emphasize that the Burbank schools are very proactive in keeping drugs out of the schools and work closely with the BPD on drug prevention and awareness. The schools bring specially-trained canines in a few times during the year to check for drugs. This incident underscores the dangers inherent in buying drugs or drug-laced foods, cautioned Sgt. Ryburn.