The construction activities and closures listed below will occur March 15-20, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities, closures and schedules are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for March 15-20, 2015
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Concrete pour for soundwalls, striping and drilling. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
Parking Restriction Switch: The street parking restriction will switch to the north end of Leland Way the week of March 16, 2015. On the north end of the street, between University Avenue and Broadway, parking will be restricted on both sides of the street at all times. On the south segment (the cul-de-sac end), parking will be permitted on the residence side only. The switch is expected to be fully implemented by March 17. Signs will be posted. See the attached notice for more information.
- Empire Avenue Interchange/Undercrossing: Through the end of March, crews are installing metal plates and beams for shoring on the southbound I-5 shoulder near the old San Fernando tunnel. The work is necessary to construct the new Empire Avenue interchange. This operation will occur at night, Sunday through Thursday, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Residents may notice some noise and/or vibration while this work is underway.
- Lincoln Street/Victory Place Improvements: Paving and striping operation. Lincoln Street at Victory Place, which has been closed during the construction, will OPEN the week of March 16. Temporary stop signs will be installed on Lincoln Street.
- Temporary Railroad Tracks: Drilling and installation of metal plates for the shoring wall needed for the temporary tracks by Empire Avenue. There may be some noise and vibration associated with this work. Also, grading between Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Way.
- Retaining Wall/Soundwall Work (excavation, concrete pours): Work will occur at the following locations:
o Between Empire Avenue and the southbound I-5 Burbank Boulevard off-ramp
o Near the southbound I-5 Empire Avenue on- and off-ramps
o Southbound Burbank Boulevard off-ramp
o Old Southbound Scott Road off-ramp
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for March 15-20, 2015
- One lane of southbound I-5 will be closed between Buena Vista Street and Burbank Boulevard from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Lincoln Street will be closed at Victory Place through March 17.
- Intermittent daytime closures of one lane of northbound Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit My5LA.com.