The construction activities and closures listed below will occur March 22-27, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities, closures and schedules are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for March 22-27, 2015
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Concrete pour for soundwalls, striping and drilling. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
Parking Restriction Switch: Parking is now restricted on both sides of the north end of Leland Way between University Avenue and Broadway. On the south segment (the cul-de-sac end), parking is permitted on the residence side.
- Empire Avenue Interchange/Undercrossing: Through the end of March, crews are installing metal plates and beams for shoring on the southbound I-5 shoulder near the old San Fernando tunnel. The work is necessary to construct the new Empire Avenue interchange. This operation will occur at night, Sunday through Thursday, between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Residents may notice some noise and/or vibration while this work is underway.
- Lincoln Street/Victory Place Improvements: Paving and striping operation. This work is ongoing. Lincoln Street will be closed at Victory Street during this operation.
- Temporary Railroad Tracks: Drilling and installation of metal plates for the shoring wall needed for the temporary tracks by Empire Avenue. Work will occur Sunday through Thursday, midnight to 8 a.m. There may be some noise and vibration associated with this work. Also, grading between Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Way.
- Retaining Wall/Soundwall Work (excavation, concrete pours): Work will occur at the following locations:
- Between Empire Avenue and the southbound I-5 Burbank Boulevard off-ramp
- Near the southbound I-5 Empire Avenue on- and off-ramps
- Southbound Burbank Boulevard off-ramp
- Old Southbound Scott Road off-ramp
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for March 22-27, 2015
NEW! See closures on an interactive map here.
- The left-turn pocket from Victory Place to Empire Avenue is now closed and will remain closed for approximately 18 months. This closure is necessary to allow crews to begin bridge shoring in preparation for excavation work to construct the new interchange and undercrossing at Empire Avenue. More information and alternate left-turn options are here.
- One lane of southbound I-5 will be closed between Buena Vista Street and Burbank Boulevard from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Intermittent daytime closures of one lane of northbound Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard.
- Lincoln Street remains closed at Victory Place.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- Real-Time traffic Information: Visit quickmap.dot.ca.gov, go511.com, or call 5-1-1.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit My5LA.com.