The construction activities and closures listed below will occur February 26 to March 6, 2015, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. All work will occur during daytime hours unless otherwise specified.
More information about the project is here. Construction activities, closures and schedules are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for February 26 to March 6, 2015
- Through the end of March, excluding weekends, crews will be installing metal plates and beams for shoring on the southbound I-5 shoulder near the old San Fernando tunnel. The work is necessary to construct the new Empire Avenue interchange. This operation will occur at night between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. Residents may notice noise and/or vibration while the work is underway.
- Pile driving near the intersection of Buena Street and Winona Avenue will resume the weekend of Feb. 28 – March 1. Pile driving hours will be 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on both days. To ensure the safety of motorists during the operation, Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 28, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, March 1. A signed detour will be provided. Pile driving will also occur during the day, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., the week of March 2-6. Crews may not work all five days.
- Leland Way Channel Cap: Concrete pour for soundwall and some drilling on the south end of Leland Way. Flaggers will be on site to ensure street and driveway access at all times.
- Reconfiguration of the Lincoln Street/Victory Place intersection. This work is ongoing through March 9. Lincoln Street will be closed at Victory Place during this operation.
- Removal of portions of the Buena Vista Street bridge to prepare for widening. Some night work.
- Spreading of base layer for temporary railroad south of Buena Vista Street.
- Concrete pours for soundwalls near the southbound I-5 Empire Avenue on- and off-ramps.
- Retaining wall work near the southbound Burbank Boulevard off-ramp and the old northbound Scott Road off-ramp.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for February 26 to March 6, 2015
- Buena Vista Street between Winona Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard will be closed in both directions from 5 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 28, to 9 p.m. on Sunday, March 1.
- One lane of southbound I-5 will be closed between Buena Vista Street and Burbank Boulevard from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- One lane of northbound I-5 will be closed between Buena Vista Street and Burbank Boulevard from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Lincoln Street will be closed at Victory Place through March 9.
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
- I-5 Info Line: (855) 454-6335. Live help – not a recording.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit My5LA.com.