The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of October 13-17, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Caltrans will close the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp on Thursday, October 16, 2014, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The closure is necessary to ensure the safety of workers and motorists during a concrete pour for a retaining wall. The work is part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway and railroad improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street.
The nearby off-ramps at Hollywood Way and Burbank Boulevard will be open during the Buena Vista Street off-ramp closure.
An electronic message sign will be in place beginning October 13, 2014, notifying motorists about the upcoming closure.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of October 13-17, 2014 (day work only)
- Retaining wall work at the following locations: near the I-5 Buena Vista St. off-ramp and on-ramp; near the southbound I-5 Burbank Blvd. off-ramp; and near San Fernando Blvd. south of Buena Vista St., north of the pump station.
- Slurry pour in the northbound San Fernando tunnel area. Fill placement also in this area near the Scott Rd. on-ramp.
- Excavation in the southbound San Fernando tunnel area.
- Electrical work east of Victory Place between Empire Avenue and Empire Center.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of October 13-17, 2014
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Empire Ave. will have one travel lane in each direction at all times.
Permanent I-5 Ramp Closures
- Northbound Burbank Blvd./Walnut Ave. on-ramp
- Southbound Scott Rd. off-ramp. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Southbound Victory Pl./Lincoln St. on-ramp. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.