The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of August 10-15, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of August 10-15, 2014
§ Excavation for a retaining wall near the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp. (See photo at left.)
§ Excavation for a retaining wall north of the southbound I-5 Burbank Boulevard off-ramp.
§ Excavation for the new southbound I-5 Empire Avenue off-ramp. (Work will occur between the railroad tracks and southbound I-5.)
§ Construction of a boring pit at Victory Place and Wilson Avenue.
§ Manhole work at Victory Place and Empire Center Drive (the signaled intersection near Wendy’s and Catherine’s).
§ Gas Company work: utility removal/relocation near the intersection of Empire Avenue and Victory Place.
§ Gas Company work: utility removal/relocation on San Fernando Boulevard between the northbound I-5 Scott Road off-ramp and Grismer Avenue.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected. Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of August 10-15, 2014
- One lane of the southbound I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp may be closed during daytime hours (7 a.m. to 3 p.m.). Motorists WILL be able to use the ramp during the closure.
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Between 10 p.m. and 8 a.m., Victory Place will be reduced to one lane north of Empire Avenue. Empire Avenue at Victory Place will be left turn only.
- Empire Avenue will have one travel lane in each direction at all times. Parking will be restricted on the north side of Empire Avenue.
Permanent I-5 Ramp Closures
- Northbound Burbank Boulevard/Walnut Avenue on-ramp
- Southbound Scott Road off-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Southbound Victory Place/Lincoln Street on-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016