Last Saturday, August 30, the Burbank Police Department Traffic Bureau conducted a DUI Checkpoint on Olive Avenue at Lake Street in the City of Burbank. A grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration funded the checkpoint.
The checkpoint was operational from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and resulted in the following actions:
- 823 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
- 823 drivers were screened for signs of driving under the influence
- 4 drivers were detained for the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- 1 driver was arrested for driving under the influence
- 1 driver was arrested for an outstanding warrant
- 9 citations were issued to unlicensed drivers
- 1 citation was issued for driving with a suspended license
- 2 vehicles were impounded
- 25 warnings were issued
The purpose of this operation was to raise awareness about the dangers of driving under the influence, to serve as a deterrent to driving while impaired, and to reduce the number of persons killed or seriously injured in alcohol-related traffic collisions.