With the new school year upon us, the Burbank Police Department would like to remind the community that traffic safety around our schools is everyone’s responsibility. By following a few simple rules and tips, parents and students can assist the Burbank Police in creating a safe environment for everyone near our schools.
The Burbank Police are providing the following “Do’s and Don’ts” for traffic safety near schools:
- Be patient, especially in heavy traffic. Slow down, plan ahead, and arrive early.
- Use the safe delivery/valet drop-off areas when and where available.
- Have your children exit your vehicle on the right (sidewalk side), away from traffic.
- Always remember to pull to the curb when dropping children off at school.
- Stay alert and refrain from using cell phones or anything else that might distract you.
- Park you vehicle in the appropriate areas, obeying all posted parking restrictions.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Park or leave your vehicle unattended in the delivery/valet drop-off area.
- Stop your vehicle in the middle of the street to let your child in or out of your vehicle.
- Walk between vehicles in the drop-off areas.
- Allow your child to cross the street outside of designated crossing zones.
- Pass vehicles on the wrong side of the road.
- Consider parking your vehicle away from congested areas and walk your child to school.
- Always cross the street at the corners and use crossing guards for assistance.