On Friday, December 19, the Burbank Police Department Traffic Bureau conducted a DUI Checkpoint on Glenoaks Boulevard at Magnolia Boulevard in the City of Burbank. A grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration funded the checkpoint.
The checkpoint was operational from 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and resulted in the following actions:
- 764 vehicles passed through the checkpoint
- 749 drivers were screened for signs of driving under the influence
- 3 drivers were detained for the administration of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests
- 1 driver was arrested for driving under the influence
- 6 citations were issued to unlicensed drivers
- 1 vehicle was impounded
- 7 drivers were cited for moving violations and equipment violations
- 34 warnings were issued
The purpose of this operation was to raise awareness about the dangers of driving under the influence, to serve as a deterrent to driving while impaired, and to reduce the number of persons killed or seriously injured in alcohol-related traffic collisions.