The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of September 29 to October 3, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of September 29 to October 3, 2014
- Retaining wall work at the following locations: near the I-5 Buena Vista St. off-ramp and on-ramp; near the southbound I-5 Burbank Blvd. off-ramp; and near San Fernando Blvd. south of Buena Vista St., north of the pump station.
- Slurry pour in the northbound San Fernando tunnel area. Fill placement also in this area near the Scott Rd. on-ramp.
- Potholing (excavating to locate utilities) in the southbound San Fernando tunnel area.
- Placement of conduit on Empire Ave. near Wilson Ave. by Liberman Broadcasting, and east of Victory Pl. between Empire Center and Empire Ave.
- Grading operation at the former pump house site. (Pump house was demolished last week.)
- Removal of HOV pavement markings on the southbound I-5 Burbank Blvd. on-ramp.
- Material delivery to old Scott Rd./northbound San Fernando tunnel.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of September 29 to October 3, 2014
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Empire Ave. will have one travel lane in each direction at all times.
Permanent I-5 Ramp Closures
- Northbound Burbank Blvd./Walnut Ave. on-ramp
- Southbound Scott Rd. off-ramp. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Southbound Victory Pl./Lincoln St. on-ramp. This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
Resources for Motorists
- Project Information: Information about the project is here.
- Closure Information: Closure information for this and other freeway projects is also available on the Caltrans website and the I-5 website.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.