The construction activities and closures listed below will occur during the week of September 2-5, 2014, as part of the I-5 Empire Project in Burbank, a series of freeway improvements between Magnolia Boulevard and Buena Vista Street. More information about the project is here. Construction activities and closures are subject to change.
Major Construction Activities for the Week of September 2-5, 2014
- Retaining wall work near the I-5 Buena Vista Street off-ramp.
- Retaining wall work near the southbound I-5 Burbank Boulevard off-ramp.
- Boring operation along Victory Place north of Empire Avenue.
- Fill placement between the San Fernando Boulevard tunnel and the Lincoln Street/Victory Place intersection, and under I-5.
- Manhole work on Empire Avenue near Wilson Avenue by Liberman Broadcasting.
- Material delivery to old Scott Road/northbound San Fernando tunnel.
Please be attentive to closures, slow down, and watch for workers in construction zones.
What to Expect: Residents and businesses close to the freeway may notice vibration and construction noise, but it will not exceed levels permitted by state, federal and local regulations. Also, the contractor is using approved dust-control measures to minimize airborne particles, but some dust is expected.
Additionally, motorists should be attentive to new traffic patterns created by restriping of travel lanes and concrete barriers. Please proceed cautiously and watch for workers.
Closures for the Week of September 2-5, 2014
Street Closures (near Empire Center)
- Empire Avenue will have one travel lane in each direction at all times.
Permanent I-5 Ramp Closures
- Northbound Burbank Boulevard/Walnut Avenue on-ramp
- Southbound Scott Road off-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
- Southbound Victory Place/Lincoln Street on-ramp: This ramp will be integrated into the Empire interchange, which will open in mid-2016
Resources for Motorists
Project Information: Information about the project is here.
For the safety of the construction crew and motorists, please be attentive to closures, slow for the cone zone, and move over one lane where possible.
Caltrans thanks motorists for their patience and understanding during construction. For more information, visit I-5info.com.